Pasadena Texas Divorce Attorney and Family Law Attorney Cari Brownlee, 281-998-8880, answers the common question regarding whether or not you can visit your children if you are behind in child support.


George Jones sudden death should be a reminder to get a Last Will and Testament. If you already have a Will, you should take it out and review it. If changes need to be made to your Will, you should contact an attorney. Do not write on your type written Will as you could invalidate your entire Will.

If you need a Last Will and Testament or need to update your current Will, call me, Cari Brownlee, at 281-998-8880.

If you need a Last Will and Testament, you are looking for an estate planning attorney.

There are some individuals that tell me they will never marry again and then there are those that ask me how soon they can remarry.  There is a 30 day remarriage prohibition. You must wait 30 days from the date the judge signs your Final Decree of Divorce to remarry. In rare cases, the judge may waive the 30-day remarriage prohibition for good cause shown.

In Texas, parents are not required to leave their property to their children.  An individual may disinherit his or her children in a will.  However, without a will, the property passes according to Texas law under the intestate distribution statutes and property may pass to heirs you would not have chosen.

Following funeral arrangements, you will want to take the original will to a probate attorney.  The probate attorney will guide you through the process of probating the will and notify you of all your duties and responsibilities as executor or executrix.

If you are in need of a probate attorney, call me, Cari Brownlee, at 281-998-8880.

There are numerous reasons why a person should have a Last Will and Testament.  First off, surely you have an idea as to who you would like your property to pass to after your death.  Dying without a will, you risk the possibility that those individuals you want your property to pass to might not inherit your property.  When a person dies without a will, that person’s property is distributed by law. The law does not play favorites.  Therefore, your devoted friend that cared for you for years will get nothing, unless you provided for your friend in your will.

I am frequently asked at what age can a child choose which parent he/she wants to live with.  There is clearly a misunderstanding about children choosing who they want to live with. In Texas, children do not get to choose who they want to live with.  Section 153.009 of the Texas Family Code does allow for children to have a voice on the subject. The law allows for a party to request for the judge to confer with a child. Once a request is made for a judge to confer with a child, the judge must talk with children 12 years of age and older and may talk with children under the age of 12. Therefore, the law allows for children to state their preference, it does not allow them to choose.  The interview is merely evidence  courts can use to make its decision.  The court’s decision is ultimately based on what is in the best interest of the children.

What is a QDRO?

August 24, 2010

QDRO stands for Qualified Domestic Relations Order. It is pronounced KWAH-droh. A QDRO is commonly used in a divorce to assign a portion of one spouse’s (participant spouse) qualified retirement benefits to the participant’s former spouse.

What does SAPCR stand for?

August 24, 2010

In Texas, SAPCR stands for a suit affecting the parent-child relationship.   It is the name for suits that involve almost any issue regarding a child. This includes conservator issues and child support. In a divorce with children, a SAPCR is combined with a suit for dissolution of marriage.